Monday, April 25, 2011

Grandma's Peanut Butter Cookies


These cookies are not my grandma's cookies.  I did not grow up with the luxury of spending much time with my grandparents.  My dad's parents were long gone before I graced the world with my presence and I was geographically inhibited where my mom's parents were concerned.  Oregon and New Mexico seem awfully far away from each other for baking lessons and chit chatting about life. 

This makes me wonder how many of the recipes that I make of my mom's that she actually got from hers. How cool would that be and why had I never thought to explore that before this moment?  Maybe that chocolate cake from childhood really is my grandmother's recipe.  Truth be told, I think it was Duncan Hines, but I can have that fantasy, can't I?  I'm going to ask my mom.

Somewhere along the way someone's grandma made these peanut butter cookies and somewhere along the way I found the recipe.  At any rate they are darn good.  My husband proclaimed that they were the best cookies he had ever had but he says that about most cookies I make.

Grandma's Best Peanut Butter Cookies
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup white sugar
1 cup Butter Flavor Crisco
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour

Cream together the sugars, Crisco, peanut butter. Add the eggs and vanilla.

Sift the dry ingredients together and add gradually until blended well.

Roll into tablespoon size balls. Roll cookie dough balls into sugar. Place on cookie sheets- do not mash with fork in normal "peanut butter cookie" fashion!

Bake at 350° oven for 11-13 minutes.

Servings: 36
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 11 minutes
Oven Temperature: 350°F

No comments:

Post a Comment