Monday, April 4, 2011

Chicken Fajitas


Going home for me is always a mixed bag of emotions.  I love seeing my family but I really really wish I didn't have to go there to do it.  Not that I expect them to always come here, but I wish they lived somewhere else.  I have so many negative memories and associations attached with the place I grew up, all of my own doing, that I wish I never had to go back.  I want to be very clear; I had a happy childhood.  My teen and adult years were peppered with my own bad decisions that lead to these feelings.  I own them completely.

I adore coming back home to my husband, the house we have made a home, and the community we are starting to embrace.  I love hitting the Cascade mountains in Oregon because that's when those negative feelings start to disappear.  My son and I always stop at the Subway in Sandy for lunch and then head on (usually) without stopping the remaining four or so hours to home.  As I pull off the freeway and start to see the familiar business and scenery I start thinking about what I'm going to make for dinner.  Oh yes, I'm starting to feel like me again.   I head straight for the kitchen to chop and season, and take care of myself again. 

Chicken Fajitas
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup lime juice
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, julienned
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 green bell pepper, julienned
1 yellow bell pepper, julienned
1 onion, cut into large chunks

Combine all ingredients, except tortillas, in a large ziplock bag, mix well and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight. Drain most but not all of the liquid from the bag.   (Just eyeball it, you can always remove more liquid later but you can't easily replace it!)

In a large skillet, over medium high heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and saute chicken mixture until chicken is no longer pink.  The majority of the liquid should be absorbed or evaporated at this point.  If there is too much liquid just drain it off.

Serve in tortillas.  I like to use monterey jack cheese, sour cream, and green chili sauce for serving as well. 

Servings: 6
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 4-12 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment