Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Yucatan-Style Chicken, Lime, and Orzo Soup



One would think by looking at my blog that I really love soup. I do, it's true, but I've been making quite a bit more of it recently.  It's fast and easy and even though flavors increase when they marry for hours they don't have to in order to produce a tasty meal.  March through June is really busy in my house.  Baseball starts and our afternoons are filled with practices and games.  This year along with baseball Domo is on an indoor soccer league as well as taking hip hop dance classes.  My afternoons are not my own and I turn to soup to make quick easy suppers that satisfy. 

Side note: remember that black bean soup I posted here?  I take it back, don't make it.  It really isn't that good and I kind of warned you of that before but I'm no longer beating around the bush about it. 

This soup is pretty awesome especially made with homemade chicken stock (another post for another time) and leftover roasted chicken. It tastes fresh and spring like which is awesome because when I think of spring I do not think of rain but living in western Washington perhaps I should change my perception.

Yucatan-Style Chicken, Lime, and Orzo Soup
3/4 cup orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)
1 1/2 Tbs olive oil
1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 jalapeno chiles, thinly sliced
3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into matchstick-size strips
5 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 large tomato, seeded, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
fresh cilantro (to garnish)

Cook orzo in pot of boiling salted water until just tender. Drain well.

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and chiles. Sauté until onion begins to brown, about 4 minutes.  Add chicken; sauté 1 minute. Add broth, lime juice, and tomato.

Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes. Mix in orzo, then chopped cilantro. Season soup with salt and pepper.

Servings: 6
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment