Sunday, March 6, 2011

Waffles of Insane Greatness

You already know that I love weekends because I get to make breakfast but what really makes me happy is that I get to watch my family eat it.  They are the kindest taste testers around (usually) and I relish in hearing their ooohs and ahhhhs over my meals.  Sundays are a bit melacholy from the beginning because I know that the end of the weekend is near but I try to set that aside and enjoy my day which starts with a yummy breakfast.

Earlier this week I was checking out this post and I knew that I had to make it.  I knew immediately that I wanted to use whole wheat flour but other than changing that ingredient and doubling the recipe in the hopes that there would be leftovers for mid-week, I kept everything the same. Mid-week leftovers are usually a pipe dream in this house so perhaps I should be tripling recipes?  There are only 3 of us at home right now.  We eat a lot I guess.  Note:  my husband says that because they are wheat they are no longer insanely great, but I have to disagree.

Waffles of Insane Greatness
1 1/2 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 egg
3 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
your favorite waffle accompaniment for serving

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.

Add the milk, sour cream, oil, egg, sugar, and vanilla and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and let the mixture rest on your counter for 30 minutes. When the batter has ten minutes left to rest, preheat your waffle iron.

When the batter is ready, spray your waffle iron with non stick spray.   Cook according to the manufacturer's instructions on you waffle iron.

Servings: 6
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Inactive Time: 30 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment