Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Panko Breaded Cod



Last week I was at the grocery store picking up the cod that I needed for this recipe.  As I was driving the two blocks from the grocery store to the entrance of my development,  I glanced over to the right, and a girl walking in the opposite direcion caught my eye.  I assume she was a girl anyway because she was built like one but other than body type, tights, and converse shoes, I had no further indicator.  She was wearing a wolf head, like that of a high school mascot and it just totally creeped me out.  This thing was huge and sitting on top of her shoulders and I wondered if she could even see.  She seemed to be walking ok.  No tripping over her feet but I was fearing for her safety as she neared the cross walk because you have to step down off the curb!  I couldn't stop looking so I glanced in my rearview mirror and do you know what I saw?  A tail!  A girl with a mascot wolf head, and a fuzzy tail dragging down to the back of her calves.  Where did she get this head?  That's what I want to know.

Weirdness.  Perhaps it was spirit day?  I don't know but kids these days and the way they dress.  Yes, I just said that, which is another clear indicator that I can add to the huge pile I have accumulated, that I am getting older.

I wish that overall fish was a more affordable item to purchase at the grocery store because the more varieties I cook the more I learn just how much my family loves it.  It's hard to have fish twice a week when it is 3 times the cost per pound than what I pay for chicken breast.  Still, it is a necessary splurge both in dietary needs, and in variety to our taste buds.  You won't be disappointed with this recipe.  My entire family enjoyed it, my son went back for seconds, and I actually didn't hear one sneering comment come from his lips.  Double win. 

Crispy Cod with Lemon Dipping Sauce
2 eggs
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp old bay seasoning
1 lb fresh cod, cut into filet size of your choice
salt & pepper
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1 tsp dried tarragon
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
Juice of one lemon

Combine mayonnaise, tarragon, garlic powder, onion powder, & lemon juice.  Mix well and place in refrigerator until ready to serve.

Preheat the broiler.   Beat eggs and place in shallow dish.  Combine panko, paprika, garlic powder, & old bay.  Cut cod into desired filet size.  Lightly sprinkle fish with salt & pepper.  Dunk fish into egg, then dredge into panko mixture.  Place on a baking sheet that’s been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.

Broil for 7-8 minutes.

Servings: 4
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 15 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment