Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mud Puddles

There are always cookies in my cookie jar. Always.  If I reach in and it's empty then I have a job to do.  BAKE!  Not only that but I can be quite certain that my husband ate six cookies for breakfast but that's another story. 

If it has chocolate or peanut butter there is a 99.9% chance that my family will like the cookie and if it has both well then the percentage is even higher.  I have a large stash of cookie recipes to try and it's really silly how many of them involve one or both of those ingredients.  This particular recipe had been in my stash for a few months so I decided to give it a go.  As always I can't leave well enough alone so I added 1/3 cup of cocoa to the dry ingredients that I sifted and I can't imagine cooking this recipe any other way now.  These little treats are delicious and didn't last long in my cookie jar at all and will remain in my cookbooks.  I'm sure they will see additional play time in my kitchen in the future. 

I only got about 34 cookies out of the recipe but I know for a fact that I ate at least 2 cookies worth of dough so I think that 36 is a better yield for me but it will all depend on how big you make your cookies.  Also I wanted to note that the filling looked like a ridiculous large amount to me so I really filled up my cookies because I didn't want much waste.  Even so there was enough for me to get out a spoon, stand over the sink, and feel like a complete cow, all the while hoping that my neighbors that see directly into my open blinds were not home.  I don't think they were.

Mud Puddles
1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
chopped peanuts

Cream butter, peanut butter and sugars together. Add egg and vanilla.

In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture. Mix well and chill for 1 hour.

Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place in lightly greased mini muffin tins. Bake in 325 degree oven for 14-16 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven and immediately make wells in the center using a melon baller, pressing lightly. Cool in pans for about 5 minutes before removing to wire racks for further cooling.

Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler. Stir in milk and vanilla and mix well.  Carefully fill wells in cookies using a spoon or a small pitcher or pastry bag.  Sprinkle with chopped peanuts.

Servings: 36
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Inactive Time: 1 hour
Oven Temperature: 325°F


No comments:

Post a Comment