Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Kung Pao Chicken (by Cooking Light)

Not all of my meals are fantastic even though I surely wish they were.  After planning, prepping, and anticipating, it is extremely disappointing to discover that a meal isn't something that you love.  *insert sad face here*  Occassionally I totally bomb but more often than not it's just something that I find myself without a happy face while chewing and that bums me out.  We still eat it but I know by first by I'm not making it again as is.  Last night was one of those dinners. 

I felt that this meal lacked depth, didn't have enough sauce or flavor, and wasn't pao-y enough for me.    Those things can be fixed and some of you may love it as is so I'm offering up the original recipe as printed in Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2006.

Kung Pao Chicken
1 Tbs canola oil, divided
4 cups broccoli florets
1 Tbs fresh ground ginger, divided
2 Tbs water
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4 inch strips
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 Tbs hoison sauce
2 Tbs rice wine vinegar
1 tsp cornstarch
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbs coarsely chopped peanuts

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in skillet over medium heat.  Add broccoli and 2 teaspoons ginger, saute 1 minute.  Add water, cover and cook for 2 minutes; until crisp tender.

Heat remaining oil to pan, add 1 teaspoon ginger, crushed red pepper, and chicken.  Cook until chicken is lightly browned.

Combine broth and next 5 ingredients through garlic; stir with a whisk.  Add broth mixture to pan, cook 1 minute until thickened.  Return broccoli to pan.  Sprinkle with peanuts.

Servings: 4
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment