Saturday, March 5, 2011

Hot Chocolate Mocha and Ultimate Truffle Cookies

Yesterday I came home from work to an empty house,  ahhhhh, it was heaven!  I wanted to treat myself a bit so I made myself a combination of my absolute favorite things;   coffee and chocolate.  Now, homemade hot chocolate is a staple in my house but sometimes the kids want some when I just don't feel like being in the kitchen so I keep instant mix on hand. I found this recipe in Family Circle magazine Nov. 2008 which uses the mix and what results is an extremely huge caffiene wake up! I used just the coffee granules and I fear I may not be able to sleep tonight. Not that I don't already know this but drinking coffee after 11am is not a wise decision for me but some days I just don't care and it's Friday so it's ok, right?

Hot Chocolate Mocha
1/2 cup hot cocoa mix
1/2 cup water
1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup milk
1/4 cup chocolate syrup
1 Tbs espresso powder or 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
1 tsp vanilla extract

Place hot cocoa mix in a saucepan, and slowly add water while whisking to form a paste.

Slowly add in half and half, stirring until combined. Add in remaining ingredients.

Simmer, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes or until heated through. Serve immediately.

Servings: 4
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes



I dipped my hand in the cookie jar and what came out was one of these babies. These are some of the most chocolatey cookies I have ever eaten.  To call them truffles is pretty much dead on.  I think I got this recipe out of a Giada De Laurentis cookbook a few weeks ago.  I'm trying to be better about tracking my sources but sometimes I just plain forget and I'm sorry about that.  I'll try to do better in the future!  Try these, I promis you won't be disappointed.  One thing I think I will do next time is mix in mini chocolate chips because these cookies are pretty dainty and  while the huge hunks of chocolate are awesome I think I'd like to continue with the dainty theme.


Ultimate Chocolate Truffle Cookies
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
1/3 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour
2 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt


In a large saucepan over low heat, melt the unsweetened chocolate, 1 cup of the chocolate chips, vanilla, and butter together; stirring, until smooth. Remove pan from heat; cool for 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together for 2 minutes with an electric mixer on medium speed. Beat in the chocolate mixture.

Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt; add to the chocolate mixture just until combined. Stir in the remaining chocolate chips. Cover dough and chill for at least 3 hours.

Remove about 1 cup of the dough from the refrigerator; with lightly floured hands, roll into 1" balls. Place 2" apart on ungreased or parchment paper-lined cookie sheets.

Bake in a preheated 350*F. oven for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly puffed and set.  Cool for 3-4 minutes on the cookie sheets before removing to a wire rack; cool completely.

Servings: 48
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 12 minutes
Inactive Time: 2 hours
Oven Temperature: 350°F


No comments:

Post a Comment