Thursday, March 10, 2011

Honey Wheat Bread

Remember when I made Waffles of Insane Greatness this past weekend?  Well, that was the first time I had ever purchased or otherwise used wheat flour.  Now that I've used it and tasted it from a homemade perspective I can't believe that I had never tried it before.  I bought the flour in bulk and over estimated what I purchased so I need to use it up (as well as find a cute container to store future purchases in) so that I can buy more of course. 

I've wanted to try a wheat bread for some time but I was reluctant to do so.  My 10 year old has refused to eat sandwiches for years and just a few weeks ago he told me it was because I buy wheat bread from the store and he just doesn't like it.  He wants soft white bread; wonder bread white.  I don't buy white bread but I do make it occassionally in the bread machine for a treat.  I'm pretty stubborn though and I decided that I needed to find a wheat bread that my son would eat.

The recipe I found online for inspiration had a little of what I wanted but not all so I played around with it a bit and I think I was successful.  I made the loaf last night and it is more than half gone this morning.  I had sliced up two glorious pieces and slathered homemade blackberry jam on each, handing one to the aforementioned 10 year old.  He LOVED this bread!!!!  Yes, a success!  I may get him to eat healthy afterall.  I then sliced up some pieces and we brushed some butter on it and dunked it into dinner.  Oh so good.

Honey Wheat Bread 
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 Tbs vegetable oil
4 Tbs honey
11/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast

Add ingredients in the order listed to your bread machine and set on the dough cycle.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan.

Once dough cycle is complete remove dough, form into a loaf, and place in greased loaf pan.  Let rise on top of preheated oven until double in size, about 40 minutes.  Bake the loaf in preheated oven until loaf until browned, about 25 minutes.

Servings: 10
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Inactive Time: 1 hour and 50 minutes
Oven Temperature: 350°F


No comments:

Post a Comment