Monday, March 21, 2011

Coffee Cake


The older I get the harder it is to wake up on Monday mornings.  Of course that sleeping pill I took last night probably isn't helping but I did get a full 8 hours of sleep. Still, the can't-quite-keep-my-eyes-open-long-enough-to-drive-myself-to-work-even-after-my-morning-cup-of-coffee syndrome was there.  I'm feeling pretty lucky that I managed to wear panties this morning let alone get my self to work in one piece.  Makeup?  That was a fleeting thought.  Yay for Mondays where you are groggy all day and look it too.

Today I'm going to share a coffee cake that I made over the weekend.  This coffee cake is a bit too sweet for my tastes.  The 1/2 cup of brown sugar on top as well as the same amount plus a cup of white granulated in the batter makes for a very sweet cake.  Not to mention the brown sugar topping crunches in between my teeth with every bite.  Next time I will knock down the topping to 1/4 cup and cut the white sugar in the batter by half to see how that turns out.  I'm sure my waistline will be better off for it.  I'll give you the recipe as written

The original instructions include the fact that you can make this the night before and bake in the morning for ease which I think would be great for planning ahead but it isn't necessary.  This literally takes all of 10 minutes to whip up before popping it in the oven. 

Cinnamon Coffee Cake
2/3 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan.

Cream together butter, sugars, and egg.  In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Alternate adding the dry ingredients with the buttermilk into the butter mixture.  Pour into prepared pan.

Mix together remaining 1/2 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.  Spread over the top of batter.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. 

Servings: 10
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Oven Temperature: 350°F

No comments:

Post a Comment