Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Chinese Five Spice Chicken


My friend Jess asked me why I put the picture at the bottom of each post and my explanation was that in my head the back story of the recipe comes first, then the recipe, then the final result.   Then I started paying attention to other recipe blogs and realized that the picture is what really grabs your attention (which is why all the more I wish I didn't suck at taking pictures) and that in more cases than not it is at the top before any text so I'm going to try it out and see how I like it.  This blogging this is not easy!  A labor of love for sure but not easy. ;) 

I love chicken boobs and I have to force myself from not cooking them four times a week.  They are so versatile and it seems like I have 5,983,092 untried recipes in my files that I will never get around to cooking.  I love them so much that I forget about their leggy counterparts on a regular basis.  What do I have against thighs anyways?  Well, nothing, and as a matter of fact I love the depth of flavor they present.  Not to mention the economy of thighs when I can find them on sale with the bone in.  I debone them myself quite easily which makes my family pretty happy.  The few times I've served bone-in chicken they looked at me like I had two heads.  Perhaps they are a bit spoiled?

This recipe was tucked away in my database and it just sounded so good and so different that I pulled it out and tried it and it lived up to my expectations.  So few ingredients knocked out an awesome dinner for my family. 

Chinese Five Spice Oven Fried Chicken
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 tsp chinese five spice*
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup honey
2 Tbs lemon juice
8 chicken thighs

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Fit a large rimmed baking sheet with a wire rack. Coat rack with nonstick cooking spray.

In a shallow dish, whick together panko, five spice, and salt.  In a medium bowl wisk together honey and lemon juice.  Dip each piece of chicken into honey mixture, shaking off excess. Roll into the panko mixture.  Pressing to adhere and place on a prepared rack.

Bake chicken pieces for 15 minutes. Spritz with non cooking spray and bake an additional 15 mintues or until internal temperature reaches 170 degrees.

*Chinese five spice = equal parts ground cinnamon, cloves, star anise, fennel seeds and Szechuan peppercorns.  I had the makings already so I placed the spices into my (clean) coffee grinder to grind up the seeds and mix thoroughly. 

Servings: 8
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Oven Temperature: 400°F

No comments:

Post a Comment