Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Black Beans and Rice



Right now I am wishing that I had something fabulous and witty to say but I just don't.  I'm having trouble conjuring up a story to tell or even giving you much information about the dish I am writing about.  It just isn't there for me today.  I have writer's block. 

The only thing that immediately is coming to mind is this blog.  In general.  I thoroughly enjoy planning my posts, making meals, taking photographs (I think I'm getting better!), writing them out, and hitting that post button.  To know me is to know that I'm not one for caring what other people think.  I live my life, I do what I do, and if you like then great, but if not I won't lose any sleep over it.  With this blog though, I kept thinking here I have been at this for a few months now and I'm pretty certain not a single person is viewing it. It was kind of freaking me out.  I had random thoughts about this ranging from, "I should stop wasting my time immediately and shut it down." to "I don't really care if anybody else is reading because I am doing this for me."  After much thought I am holding on to the latter, I am holding it close to my heart, and will continue writing with my soul. 

The thing is somebody is reading my blog most days.  It could be the same somebody everyday and it could be a different somebdoy everyday but somebody is reading my blog.  In fact in the last week I have had page views from Germany, Denmark, Hungary, India, and Iran!  Now I have no idea how they found my blog (would love to know) and they may never come back again but they were here!  It makes me giddy so I thank you for stopping by.  :)

Now it's time to get to the food.  Here is a great meatless meal that I love, my husband likes, and my youngest son won't touch. What does my 10 year old know about food anyway?  Try it for yourself, I do hope you'll like it. 

Black Beans and Rice another recipe from Cooking Light Annual Recipes Cookbook
1 Tbs olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup water
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground oregano
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
15 oz black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup raw brown rice, cooked according to package directions
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat.  Add onion and bell pepper; cook 5 minutes or until tender.  Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.  Add water and remaining ingredients except cheese.  Cover, and reduce heat for 10 minutes or until heated though.  Top with cheese before serving.

Servings: 4
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment