Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Beef and Broccoli


I love chinese food but I am kind of picky.  I'm often let down by take out in my area so I decided that I would start fiddling around with recipes to see if I could come across something that totally knocked my socks off.  My son Damian, who is 16, loves beef and broccoli; it's one of his favorites.  Last summer he asked me if I would attempt to make it at home.  I love it when the first at bat is a home run! 

Yes, that was a baseball reference, and yes I love baseball.  Both of my boys play, and I am that mom in the stands.  You know the one that sometimes says things when she should keep her mouth shut. Yeah, I'm that one.  I'm am trying really really hard to not be that mom anymore and I'm getting better because the last thing I want to do is embarrass my kids.  One day in particular two years ago, Dominick who is now ten had an evening game.  My smart self decided to keep myself warm at this spring game by bringing along a large to go mug of coffee.  Do I need to tell you that this was a bad idea?  Heck, drinking coffee after 11am is a bad idea for me.  Needless to say my little boy came bounding out of the stands and told me that maybe I shouldn't drink coffee at his games anymore because clearly I was too excited.  Oops but point taken and lesson learned for sure.

Back to dinner.  I found this beef and broccoli recipe on food.com.  It was simple and easy and turned out great the first time I made it.  It's been in our family rotation ever since.

Beef and Broccoli
1/2 lb beef flank steak, sliced thinly across grain (I use ball tip steak)
1 tablespoon soy sauce black pepper sesame oil
1/8 teaspoon
1/4 teaspoon
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 lb. fresh broccoli, broken into florets and then sliced in half
4 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt water
1/2 cup
2 garlic cloves, crushed

In a mixing bowl, mix together soy sauce, pepper, ¼ teaspoon sesame oil and corn starch. Add sliced beef, coat well and let marinate for 15 minutes.

In a wok, or other pan, heat 2 tablespoons of sesame oil until smoke begins to rise.  Add broccoli florets and salt, stir well. Add 1/2 cup of water, cover with a lid and cook on high heat for 3 - 4 minutes or until steam starts to escape from the edge of the lid. Remove broccoli and any liquid to a bowl.

Add the remainder 2 tablespoons of sesame oil. When hot, add garlic and brown for 1 minute, stirring often. Add sliced beef and marinade and stir-fry until the color of meat changes, about 1 minute. Return broccoli and liquid to the pan and mix; stir-fry for 30 seconds.  Serve over cooked rice.

Servings: 4-6
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes




No comments:

Post a Comment