Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Taco Soup

Everybody has recipes that they go to when they are busy or just don't have time to cook.  Something that is ready in less than a half hour and requires little to no prep.  For me taco soup is one of those recipes. You brown some ground beef, open some cans, chop an onion and a bell pepper and voila!  It can be ready in as little as 15 minutes.  The flavors don't need to blend here.  Mmmm this might be more of a chili now that I think about it.  It isn't soupy.  It's thicker and I dare say it may be what Rachael Ray calls a stoup.  Thicker than a soup but not quite a stew.  Oh how I hate Rachael Ray speak.  Sorry, it won't happen again.

Now, I'm one of those crazy people who plans to be busy on Wednesday night.  I plan my week and my meals so I can avoid the last second OMG what's for dinner feeling.  So on Monday or Tuesday I can prep for Wednesday so that dinner on Wednesday goes smoothly.  So if I'm chopping an onion for Monday night's dinner I will chop an extra for Wednesday and I plan to use dried beans because I love the price so on Tuesday I boil them when I get home from work.  That's just how I roll.  I know not everybody is that way and it can be a bit neasueating to know that other people are so I won't mention it again.  Promise.

Taco Soup
1 lb ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
28 ounces kidney beans (you can used dry here if you are awesome and plan ahead like I do)
28 ounces diced tomatoes
14 ounces corn (frozen works fine in a pinch)
2 (1 1/4 ounce) packages taco seasoning (I like a lot and buy taco season in bulk so to taste)


In a large pot brown meat and drain.  Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for about ten minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment