Saturday, February 26, 2011

Tabbouleh

When I think of tabbouleh I automatically think of a work lunch.  You know the kind where you sit in front of your computer and shop for cute shoes or you grab the US magazine from the office waiting room and peruse it find the latest gossip on Charlie Sheen and his hookers.  Every lunch at work is like this to me but I have an awesome job.  I like sitting in front of a desk.

I rarely make anything specifically for myself to take to the office because there is usually plenty of leftover dinner from the night before to tide me over for lunch.  Every once in a while though I plan ahead, leftovers be damned, and I treat myself to something that only I in my household would like. 

I've never made a tabbouleh before but I occasionally purchase it at the store deli and I am absolutely in love with it.  It seemed exotic to me.  Mint?  I've never ever purchased mint before that didn't come in extract form and wasn't being used in my Christmas baking.  Really it isn't all that exotic but in my head I had worked it up to be that way so it seemed off limits to me but I found this recipe online a few weeks ago (unfortunately I failed to save the link so I apologize not being able to give my source) and I knew I had to try it.  It didn't disappoint and I found myself sneaking bites out of the fridge before lunch even arrived.  This recipe I made zero changes to - a rarity for me. After it sat overnight I did think that there was too much liquid on the bottom of the container but the beauty of this recipe is that it doesn't matter.  It doesn't wilt or otherwise ruin any ingredients. 

Tabbouleh
1 cup bulgur
3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 cucumbers, peeled and chopped
3 green onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil

Place bulgur in bowl and cover with 2 cups of boiling water.  Soak for 30 minutes; drain and squeeze out excess water.

In a mixing bowl cobine bulgur, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, garlic, parsley, mint, salt, lemon juice, and olive oil.  Toss and refrigerate 4 hours before serving.  Toss again prior to serving.

Servings: 4
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Inactive Time: 4 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment