Monday, February 28, 2011

Slow Cooker Chili Verde and Cornbread

Sunday was the third day in a row that I was suppose to make this recipe.  Friday I left for work and didn't think twice about it until I read a "what's for dinner" thread on a forum I frequent.  My response for that day was "crap I forgot to get out dinner and turn on the crock pot so I have no idea".  We had BLT's.  So Saturday rolls around and that morning I had remembered!  but then I quickly forgot again.  2:30 in the afternoon rolls around and I left for my weekly errands and while driving to my first store I remembered dinner.  Grrrrrrrr, I had done it again!  Well I'm headed to the grocery store so I just have to rearrange my weekly menu.  I'm so flexible like that.  Beef and broccoli (another post for another time) made it on to the table.  Sunday morning at 10:30 I remembered I was suppose to do something about dinner early and I didn't even forget!  It finally made it's way to the crock pot carafe I had so smartly placed on my countertop the night before.

Forgetting to make this meal 2 days in a row kind of takes away from the ease of it but what can I do about that?  It's part of my natural "dur da dur" personality that my husband claims to find endearing.  I roll with the punches and let just about nothing get to me.  I like to make this on a weekday because I can come home from work to a dinner that's already made and for a person who cooks 7 nights a week that can be a beautiful gift.  Hence trying to make it on a Friday.  Oh well. 

Slow Cooker Pork Chili Verde
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2-3 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cubed
28 oz green enchilada sauce
4 oz cans diced green chili peppers
To serve:
tortillas or corn chips
cheese
sour cream
salsa

Add ingredients through chili peppers to a slow cooker.  Cover, and cook on low for at least 6-8 hours. (It's usually in my crock pot at least 10 hours before eating and that's just fine too.) Serve in tortillas with cheese, sour cream, and salsa.

Servings: 10
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 8 hours


Har har har.  As I was exporting the above recipe from my cooking software (Living Cookbook if anybody is interested) I realized that I hadn't cubed the pork!  Sure, it would have end up being ok but not quite how I like it so I attempt to take my big butcher knife and stab the meat in the crock pot.  How do you think this ended?  I had green chili sauce all over my walls, fridge, toaster, and counter, but I had no slab of meat on my knife.  Crap so I try again, smartly before I decide to clean up my mess and luckily this time I did it right.  LOL, I crack myself up. Seriously though, this is an easy recipe and should not be nearly as difficult to complete as it has been for me this time around.  It's one of the easiest recipes I have.


Buttermilk Cornbread
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Grease an 8 inch square pan.

Melt butter in large microwavable bowl. Stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended.

In separate container or large measuring cup, combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in bowl.

Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Servings: 12
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes


1 comment:

  1. I think I am going to try to make this soon and top it with some jalapeno and asiago toward the end. I'm thinking next time I make Chili ;)

    -----I figured out how to blog stalk you now. Woohoo

    ReplyDelete