Monday, February 7, 2011

Buttermilk Pancakes

When I first met my husband I hadn't yet begun my love affair with food.  It was more of a flirtation with the occassional crush.  I still used a lot of premade packaged foods and bisquick was one of them and we always made pancakes out of the box.  On the rare weekend morning when I decided to try a cookbook recipe for pancakes my family always responded with "we'd rather have the ones from the box".  LOL, thanks guys.  Clearly I had a lot of work to do to master my pancake making skills.

I don't have many cookbooks on my shelf.  I love cookbooks but in general I find that there are so few winners in such a large collection that owning them and allowing them to take space in my kitchen isn't really the best way to utilize the room I have.  Instead I am at the library every week checking out 4 or 5 cookbooks and I read them like novels.  I devour every recipe and I use those little sticky flags to note the ones I must try.  One of the few cookbooks I do own is an old one that my mother gave me (Or did I simply take it upon moving out without her permission?  Entirely likely.).  A few years back I decided to give this beauty a try Pancakes & Waffles The fine art of Pancake, Waffle, Crepe, and Blintz Cooking published in 1970.  I have found a few successes but none so wonderful as the simple Buttermilk Pancakes on page 9.  They are light and super fluffy and just beautiful. 

A few things I've learned about these pancakes: 
1)  The recipe doubles wonderfully which I do often.  Making the original recipe only isn't going to feed your entire family if you have more than 2 boys/men in the mix.
2)  The batter itself doesn't keep well in the fridge.  A day or so later you'll still have pancakes but they wont' be light and fluffy.  The batter thins out and you won't have the same pancake.
3) The pancakes keep well in the fridge for the week and they also freeze well.


Buttermilk Pancakes
1 1/2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted


Place sifter into a medium sized bowl. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.

Combine the eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter in another bowl (I use a large liquid measure).

Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk together until combined.

For each pancake pour 1/3 to 1/2 cup batter (for a pretty large pancake) into a preheated skillet on medium heat that has been melted with butter or sprayed with non-stick spray. Once bubbles start to form and pop in the middle, flip the pancake and brown on the second side.

Serve with your choice of topping. We like homemade syrup, or jam with sour cream and vanilla yogurt.




No comments:

Post a Comment