Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Buttermilk Cheese Bread

Cheese is my favorite food.  You know those silly facebook or myspace quizzes that ask "if you were stranded on a deserted island and could eat only one food for the rest of your life what would it be"?  Well my answer is always cheese.  My intention is a bit sneaky though because cheese isn't very inclusive.  You have cheddar, monterey jack, cream, goat, blue, gorgonzola, and on and on and on.  That way I would never be bored or hungry but I may end up fat.  Then again who cares if I'm fat since it's a deserted island, right?

Growing up in Oregon my mom kept Tillamook cheese in the fridge at all times.  We didn't buy anything fancy, just the medium cheddar in two pound loaves but it was always in the fridge and now as an adult I realize just how good the quality is. 

Last night I was at the library helping my son pick out a biography on Martin Luther King Jr. and as always I went to the cookbook section where I came across The Tillamook Cheese Cookbook and because of my love affair with Tillamook I quickly snatched it up.  Today is a snow day so I found myself with a cup of coffee flipping through the cookbook and flagging recipes at a very early hour when I came across a recipe for buttermilk cheese bread.  Well, it is a snow day today so I am here in my kitchen with a full day ahead of me and no plans and I had everything I needed for this bread so I got out my bread machine at the crack of dawn. Okay, it was 9:30 but on a Wednesday morning that is really odd for me.  The original recipe wasn't written for the bread machine but that's how I roll because I have an adversion to kneading yeast breads.

Buttermilk Cheese Bread
3/4 cup water
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, well beaten
5 cups flour
2 Tbs sugar
2 tsp salt
4 1/2 tsp dry yeast
1 1/2 cups shredded Tillamook Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Place the water, buttermilk, and egg on bottom of bread machine.  Add flour, sugar, and salt.  Make a well and add the yeast.  Turn on bread machine to dough cycle.  After first beep add in the cheddar cheese.

Remove dough from bread machine (will be very sticky).  This is enough dough to make 2 large loaves or 2 dozen rolls.  I made one dozen rolls and one loaf.  If making rolls, spray a 13 x 9 pan for each dozen and divide dough into portions.  Let rise until double.  If making loaves divide dough and place into a loaf pan and let double.

Bake at 375 degrees in a preheted oven.  20 minutes for the rolls and about 30 for the loaves.

Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Time: 2 hours and 30 minutes (or more)
Oven Temperature: 375°F





2 comments: