Monday, February 14, 2011

Brown Sugar Brownies

I have this wonderful friend named Jess who is a self-proclaimed brownie purist.  She says that she always uses the same recipe (Hershey's cocoa in a recipe written by Nestle ironically) and is scared to stray from it.  I get that.  Afterall my fall back brownie recipe is Hershey's Best Brownies. made with whatever cocoa happens to be on sale that week.  Now please don't throw rocks.  I understand that there are many of you out there that are a stickler for using only the best ingredients and that no off brand cocoa will do.  Well, I'm not that girl.  I have a budget and I like to save money and that's just how it is around this house. I have a secret: the last time I bought cocoa powder it was from the bulk bin of my new favorite grocery store.  My friend Jess doesn't think she'll ever make this recipe because she isn't quite sure that they will taste like the brownies she knows and loves.  She is right.  These are a bit different.

The original recipe that I tweaked just a tiny bit came from Kittencal's Kitchen and she calls the Chocolate Explosion Brownies but I do beg to differ.  I think the predominant flavor here really is the brown sugar. 

Brown Sugar Brownies
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 Tbs vanilla
4 large eggs
1/2  cup semisweet chocolate
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup walnuts, chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease a 13 x 9 pan and line with parchment paper.

In a large bowl using an electric mixer at medium speed beat melted butter, both sugars and vanilla until well blended.  Add in eggs and beat for at least 5 minutes (this is important according to the original recipe).

Melt chocolate in microwave safe bowl or over double boiler.  Take off heat and let cool.

In another bowl sift the flour with cocoa powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture and beat on low speed until blended.  Stir in the nuts. Transfer to baking pan.

Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Servings: 24
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Oven Temperature: 350°F



No comments:

Post a Comment