Sunday, February 27, 2011

Bird's Seasoned Potatoes

Aw, how I love weekends!  It really is a shame that as I get older the earlier I wake up.   Today my bedroom alarm clock was taunting me with the number 6:46, how cruel is that?  I rolled out of bed, turned on my coffee maker, and grabbed my laptop.  Oh how I hate beating my automatic coffee maker to the punch in the morning! 

We are redecorating our home so by 7 am I was looking at websites like Pier 1, World Market, and Target.  Now don't be jealous because I say redecorating in loose terms.  You see my husband and myself at the ages of 30 and 40 something still live in a home decorated by free hand me downs and thrift store finds.  There have been a few things in my life that have changed recently so shopping is something I get to really do for the first time ever in my life.  I never realized just how fun it could be and if I weren't an avid saver and budgeter I could easily get in a lot of trouble.  I'm in a good place with all of it.

All that early morning browsing got me hungry in a hurry, and not to mention my hunger these last few weeks seems to be insatiable. I hopped up to make up a skillet of Bird's Seasoned Potatoes that I found on food.com some time ago.  These are the best skillet breakfast potatoes I have ever had.  We just love them and there are never any leftovers.  Most mornings I add bacon that has been baked with brown sugar and pepper in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or so then chopped up (that's the picture you'll see below). This morning I added beaten eggs to round out the meal.  Both good and both satisfying.


Bird's Seasoned Potatoes
2 Tbs bacon fat
6 red potatoes, medium sized, washed and cubed 1 inch square
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt, ground
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper (optional)
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried parsley

Heat lard (or oil) in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes, paprika, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, and black pepper. Toss to coat, cover, and let steam for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are semi-soft, stirring occasionally.

Remove lid, add onion (bell pepper if using), and herbs. Toss to coat. increase heat to medium-high and cook an additional 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally until potatoes are cooked through and crispy browned on the outside. Serve with ketchup if desired.

OPTIONAL BAKE METHOD: Melt the fat, then mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Place onto a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake at 425°F for 45-60 minutes, turning/tossing occasionally.

Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes




No comments:

Post a Comment